In gastroscopy treatment, the contents of your stomach, upper jejunum, and duodenum are checked by inserting the tube with camera lens named endoscope. The endoscope goes from your mouth to your oesophagus taking photos of inside of all these areas. This procedure is generally done as day patient, this means you don’t have to spend a night in the hospital, but this treatment can be done at gastroscopy clinic.
Gastroscopy (endoscopy) is a treatment of oesophagus (food pipe or gullet), duodenum and stomach using the flexible telescope named gastroscope. When essential, during an examination, many small procedures can be carried out. The procedures will include:
- Taking small tissue sample
- Stopping bleeding from ulcer
- Polyps removal
Why Do You Need Gastroscopy?
Gastroscopy is generally performed for many different reasons:
To check out the pain cause in upper part of your abdomen –heartburn, indigestion, etc., particularly when long-term & not resolving with oral medication.
- Look for traces of cancer in food pipe and stomach.
- Difficulty in swallowing
Uses for Gastroscopy
This treatment can also be used to:
- Check on the problem with food, like vomiting, reflux, and acid reflux that will cause difficulty swallowing and chest pain.
- Check for signs of the chronic pancreatitis, like food intolerance and abdominal pain.
- Check liver for abnormalities, like viral infection.
- Check for the internal bleeding and trauma, or underlying issue with gastrointestinal tract.
- During this procedure, small instrument named endoscope is used for looking inside GI tract.
An endoscope is generally inserted in the nose, down to your throat, in your stomach as well as duodenum and in first part of small intestine duodenum. It is a very important procedure; hence make sure you choose the right gastroscopy clinic to perfect the procedure.